Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tim Tebow describes how he deals with the media - USA TODAY

The New York Jets traded for QB Tim Tebow to put some pressure on Mark Sanchez , and although they might not admit it, perhaps for some positive publicity for the team when head coach Rex Ryan isn't busy making guarantees.

Cameras and bloggers (this one included) love to follow everything the quarterback does. On Saturday morning, Tebow had a Baywatch moment, while running shirtless in the rain. Had this been Greg McElroy, we probably wouldn't be quite as interested.

And that is the magic that is Tebow-mania.

When asked about his shirtless moment, Tebow replied:

"It was funny. A few guys gave me a hard time, but honestly I don't think anybody knew until they saw it that night on ESPN. It was funny. More than anything it was probably just Mark (Sanchez) and Greg (McElroy) giving me a hard time and then everybody else catches on after that... My shirt felt like 20 pounds because we had been in the rain and then I was signing autographs for like 20 or 30 minutes. I didn't really think you all would be filming it and taking pictures."

Tebow has handled the New York pressure quite well as of late, and soon he will realize that the cameras are always rolling. Some guy named Jeremy Lin probably knows a thing or two about that.

He acknowledges that going out in public is sometimes difficult and the attention can be tough to deal with at times.

"Sometimes it is (t0ugh). Just if you want to go watch a movie, 'The Dark Knight', or something. It's just something you just have to think about and plan for. It's not like I get frustrated doing it, it's just sometimes you just want to relax and be normal because that's how I view myself you know. So sometimes you'd just like to be able to do more normal stuff that you can't."

On a lighter note, Tebow was informed that Boston Red Sox 2B Dustin Pedroia has a picture of the shirtless quarterback running in the rain posted in his locker.

"(Laughing) Wow. Oh man, no I didn't hear that but thanks for telling me, that's pretty funny."

As the NFL season gets closer, the attention paid to Tebow will only increase. Tebow has dealt with media attention throughout his career, and has stayed level-headed, not changing his ways.

"Sometimes it does get a little comical and funny to me. But for the most part, it's really trying not to think about it or worry about it or pay attention to it. I really just try to be myself and live as much of a normal life as I can without having any of this change who I am or what I do or why I do it, and it's something I take pride in. It's just not changing, especially my values, my faith, anything like that, but also just what I do and how I do it and just try to be the same person all the time. Just being someone that's authentic and genuine and real and not someone that does one thing and in front of the cameras and does something different when I'm around teammates or not doing what I like to do, just being myself."

In related news, Tebow led the Denver Broncos to the playoffs last year, so yeah, he does a few things on the field as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment